Sunday, January 14, 2007

Carpenter’s Tools - The Face You Know. The Name You Trust . . . . .

By Pastor Wallace Phillips – January 12th, 2007


Several years ago I wrote a Carpenter’s Tools article about trust. I used a phrase that was familiar to our city – the face of a pig. It was not just any pig. It was the Piggly Wiggly pig. That phrase is on their corporate bag that many of you readers’ groceries are packed in on a weekly basis. That bag somehow communicated that message that when you see the face of the pig it was indicative of a trustworthy trip to their local grocery store.

I used it then to show just how important it is to have a good name. In fact, Proverbs 22:1 reminds us…”A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.”

I write today with the same title, and I use the same teaching. A good name is important. Solomon says it has more value than that of riches. Yes…I use the same title…the same words…the same scripture, but a different face. This week, it’s the face of Jerry Castelloe; the store manager. I met him some 15 years ago when I came to Ahoskie. That was the beginning of a relationship that has been professional, social, and spiritual. I am grateful for the influence that Jerry has in our community.

Upon my entrance into the Piggly Wiggly just a few days ago, I inquired as usual with a “Is Jerry here?” The answer came back….”Jerry’s not here. He retired from the store.” I found myself dialing his number just to chat. I know that many people will miss you Jerry. You brought warmth and a sense of caring to the public position that you held for many years. Thank you for your kindness. We always knew your face…and we trusted you. Our trips to that local business were always more than just another shopping experience.

“A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.”



Please visit us on the web at http://www.cscministries.com/ or http://www.wallacephillips.org/





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home