Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gubernatorial Candidate Mixes Barbecue With Politics

by Cal Bryant - December 14th, 2007 - Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald



Joe Humphries, Deidre Jersey and Joe Avery arrive in Ahoskie with Senator Fred Smith


AHOSKIE - If barbecue is king in North Carolina, then Fred Smith is its prince.

Smith, a Johnston County native, was in the area last week stumping for votes as he hopes to earn the Republican Party’s gubernatorial nomination for governor next spring and then vie in the November 2008 general election for the state’s highest elected office.

And in true North Carolina fashion, Smith is soliciting votes through a series of meetings he proclaims as his statewide barbecue tour. Smith plans to chow down on one of the state’s most traditional meals (pork barbecue, slaw, beans, potatoes, cornbread and sweet tea) in all 100 counties. To date, he has covered just over 60 counties with stops planned for tomorrow (Thursday) in Greene and Lenoir.

At last week’s gathering at the Ahoskie Inn, Smith was greeted by a room full of supporters from all four Roanoke-Chowan area counties. There, his message was as powerful as the plaque which sits behind his office desk….“The difference between good and great is a little extra effort.”

“I made that wooden plaque in my high school shop class and it has been with me everywhere,” Smith said. “That’s what I think will win me a bid, with your support, to run for governor…a little extra effort.”


I missed Cal's article when it came out which is why I am linking to it late. I posted my own article about the event when Fred Smith came to Ahoskie here, but did not see this one. It is a good article about a great candidate. For more pictures of the local BBQ event Cal mentioned, check out my article.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home