Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How to Read the New Testament

by Mike S. Adams - May 21, 2007 - Townhall.com

Once an individual realizes he is stuck here on earth and will not be raptured away from all of his troubles, he can begin to read the Bible the way it was intended to be read. I have a word of advice for those who have never really thought about reading the Bible as an end in itself rather than as a means to some goal such as predicting the future. My advice is actually borrowed from a friend who received a moving card from his wife just a few months ago.

After receiving the cherished card from his wife, my friend would sneak into their bedroom late at night (she always fell asleep while he was finishing his last TV show). After giving her a kiss while she was sleeping, he would take the card off his dresser and go into the spare room to read it by the light of a small lamp.

There were certain lines he would read three and four times over: “It is a privilege to know you, to share myself with you,” “I never knew such a person could exist until I met you,” and “You lift my spirits to places where my troubles seem so much farther away.”

It was wonderful to hear that a dear friend had found his “soul mate” and all of the joy that comes from lifelong companionship. But, at the same time, I could not listen to his story without thinking of all the other friends I know who have suffered through a painful divorce or, in some cases, never even met someone with whom they share a special bond of love. And some are growing older and lonelier by the day.

Mike Adams is rapidly replacing Thomas Sowell as the first writer I turn to when I am feeling lonely or depressed. He is usually funny, sometimes bitingly so. However recently he has found a new theme in the importance of expressing our love for our friends and family.

I know this is true. However like most people I have not always appreciatated how hard you have to work to sustain love. Sometimes we let down those we love more than anyone else. I have certainly failed those who tried to love me and I deeply regret it.

Sometimes those we love let us down even if they love us. Can we forgive them and move on or do we make things worse by pointing out our hurts?

However at least one thing Mike has not dealt with yet along this theme is what happens when you love someone and they do not return the love. What do you do?

So far my solution has been to simply keep loving. Not a good solution. Leaves you lonely. Getting love is at least as important as giving love. Anyone got a better suggestion?

This article is a good read though and gives good advice to those who are lonely. It deals with something we all need to work on. I highly recommend it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home