Thursday, September 01, 2005

Carpenter's Tools - By Pastor Wallace Phillips

This weeks messsage: Lottery Or The Lord?

I’m sure you Carolinians have heard the news by now…THE NC STATE SENATE PASSED THE LOTTERY. Did you hear this part? That Mr. Basnight reconvened the Senate as soon he was aware that two key Republican Senators would be absent. Senator Brown is on his honeymoon, and Senator Garwood is hospitalized. Key conservative voices were not present. Gambling is now acceptable in North Carolina.


Gambling is destructive. It is addictive. It robs families and especially children from the provision that is needed when parents will spend money on this vice. Oh…and as I write this I can hear that Christian who says this…”I buy one ticket. That’s just a dollar.” Well that’s just one way that you teach your children to investigate gambling and open the door on something that can be destructive financially.

Take your dollar and give it to missions in your local church. Support that which God has ordained and placed His blessing upon. I rarely use my column to take a stand on an issue, but I must proclaim to you today that I am opposed to any plan that can bring down families.

I have heard the great stories of how the lottery will improve education in States. I lived in Florida where less than 2% of all lottery funds were received by the schools. Millions of dollars are received in the lottery. Oh and by the way, statistics tell us that you are 7% more likely get struck by lightening than you are to win the lottery. So what will it be for you? Will you teach your kids that the lottery is something that you should try, or will you show them that the godly way is as Jesus said, “Give and it shall be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap…..” Luke 6:38.


I’ve tried God’s plan. It works! What will it be for you? The Lottery or the Lord?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home